There are numerous AT commands are available for Huawei devices. In this post, we will use one freeware to send AT command on Huawei USB modem.
What is Putty?
Putty is a free and open-source terminal emulator, serial console, and network file transfer application. It supports various network protocols, including SCP, SSH, Telnet, rlogin, and raw socket connection. It is also useful to send AT command through device serial port.
Putty is a portable tool and there is no need to install it on your computer. Download and run the application as Administrator to start sending AT commands.
How to Send AT Command in USB Modem using Putty?
1. Download Putty from here.
2. Right-click on the downloaded file and select Run as Administrator.
3. Input the password, if window prompt to do so.
4. Putty app will start running.
5. With the default configuration, it will not work on your modem COM port.
Click on the Terminal from the left hand side menu.
6. Line discipline options plays an important role to communicating with the device. By default, Local echo and Local line editing settings are configured at Auto.
Change the both radio button to “Force on”.
7. Leave running Putty and connect the USB modem to PC.
8. Once all the software and drivers of the dongle are properly installed, open the device manager by right clicking on Start Button.
9. Expand the ports section of device manager. You will see here two COM ports of Huawei, since we have use Huawei E173 modem.
10. Note down the “3G PC UI Interface” COM port number. In my case it is COM12. Close the device manager as it is no longer required.
11. Now go to Putty, which is already running.
12. Click on Session menu.
13. Click Serial radio button.
14. By default it will select serial link COM1. Change it to with your COM port which you have noted down in Step 10.
15. Click Open button to communicate with modem COM port.
16. It will open a black window. On left top corner of the Putty command prompt, you can see your COM ports, means it is successfully connected and ready to accept the commands.
17. Type any command which you want to execute and click Enter from the keyboard.
If you have a hilink USB modem then you have to first switch it to normal mode by browsing:
The above mentioned command will activate the serial port of your hilink modem. Once serial mode is activated, you need to install Huawei mobile partner on your Windows computer.