All of us prefer to save the password in browsers, that makes things easy. Once the password is saved in the browser, there is no need to remember it. Over a time, we forget the things, and when trying to log in with another PC or browser we try to remember the things. Saved passwords from the browser can be recovered and also can be backed up.
In this post, we will see the steps to export and import the passwords in Google Chrome browser. There is no direct option to export / import the passwords in Chrome, but it can be enabled via Chrome flags. Means, with the help of Chrome flags, we can manage the passwords section in Settings, by enabling a Chrome flag.
How to Import and Export Passwords in Google Chrome browser?
1. Launch Chrome browser and browse for “chrome://flags” or “about://flags”.
2. Press ‘Ctrl+F’ and search for “password import and export”. The corresponding flag entry will be highlighted.
This option is available for all the major desktop OS platforms, Mac, Windows, Linux, Chrome OS. This flag can be used to directly export or import the saved passwords in Chrome.
From the drop-down menu, select Enabled to turn ON the flag.
3. Click “RELAUNCH NOW” button from the bottom of the browser to restart the Chrome and to make the changes effective.
4. Once the Chrome browser is restarted, browse for chrome://settings.
Scroll down to the bottom and click on “Show advanced settings” link.
5. Again scroll down and go to the section named Passwords and forms.
6. Click on “Manage passwords” link. A new window will pop up with all your saved passwords.
7. Scroll down till “Never Saved” section and look for Export and Import buttons.
8. Click “Export” button to download all the saved password on your PC.
9. It will prompt to enter your Windows user account password for authorization.
10. Once the password is entered and validated, you can save your passwords in a CSV (Comma Separated Values) file format on your PC.
By opening the CSV file, you can see all saved passwords in text format.
If you want to import any password to your Chrome browser and store it in saved passwords, you have to prepare a CSV file with the following values mentioned in the file:
Name: Name of website on which you have the account
URL: Login URL for the website
Username: Username for the website
Password: Password for the above-mentioned username