How to solve error 631 ‘The port was disconnected by the user’ in Huawei modem and ZTE dongle? If you are using modems from a long time then you might have faced error 631 ‘The port was disconnected by the user’. If you’re getting error message 631 ‘The port was disconnected by the user’ when you attempt to connect to the internet with your USB modem on a Windows computer.
Error 631 ‘The port was disconnected by the user’ may occur in the following cases :
1. There isn’t enough power getting to the modem – If you’re using a desktop computer, ensure you’re using a USB post at the rear of the computer and attempt to connect, because rear side USB port is directly connected to motherboard of PC and it will give the sufficient power supply to the modem. Or, if you’re using a laptop computer, move the modem to a different USB port and attempt to connect.
2. Insufficient network coverage – If you’re using a laptop, move to a different location and attempt to connect. If you are using desktop computer and you can’t move to another place then change the modem’s network preference to ‘GPRS/EDGE Only’ and attempt to connect. If you successfully connect, the error message was a result of coverage.
3. Corrupt or missing files – If above process does not help you to connect your modem to internet then follow these steps :-
- Close your default software of modem. Ensure the icon is not present in your system tray (bottom right-hand corner of your screen.) If it it still present, right-click the icon and select ‘close’ / ‘exit’.
- Click on ‘Start’ and then select “run’.
- Now type ‘%appdata%’ into the empty field and click ‘OK’.
- Locate the installation folder related to your modem, right-click on it and select Delete.
Now you can retry to connect to the internet.