404 errors and duplicate titles not only hurt the ranking of website, it can entirely omit your site from search engine as well. Yesterday, I have provided solution to avoid the duplicate post titles in wordPress, and you will get the tutorial ” How to Redirect 404 Errors to a New URL in WordPress?”.
Every blogger does not know the coding and it is very difficult for those to handle 404 errors in WordPress. With a redirection plugin, you can not avoid 404 errors but you can redirect them to the correct URL, so your site SEO can be maintained.
Redirection is a WordPress plugin to manage 301 redirection, keep track of 404 errors, and generally tidy up any loose ends your site may have. This is particularly useful if you are migrating pages from an old website, or are changing the directory of your WordPress installation.
Features of Redirection Plugin :
- 404 error monitoring – captures a log of 404 errors and allows you to easily map these to 301 redirects
- Custom ‘pass-through’ redirections allowing you to pass a URL through to another page, file, or website.
- Full logs for all redirected URLs
- All URLs can be redirected, not just ones that don’t exist
- Redirection methods – redirect based upon login status, redirect to random pages, redirect based upon the referrer!
- Automatically add a 301 redirection when a post’s URL changes
- Manually add 301, 302, and 307 redirections for a WordPress post, or for any other file
- Full regular expression support
- Apache .htaccess is not required – works entirely inside WordPress
- Redirect index.php, index.html, and index.htm access
- Redirection statistics telling you how many times a redirection has occurred, when it last happened, who tried to do it, and where they found your URL
- Fully localized
Redirection is a free plugin and works well up to WordPress v4.0. Just install this plugin and whenever you find any broken links in your website, just redirect them, and new visitors as well as search engine robots will be redirected to the new link. Another benefit is that, you can not only redirect 404 URL to your domain, but you can also redirect to others domain also.