The Microsoft Surface 3 runs on 64-bit Windows 8.1 OS, which is further updradable to upcoming Windows 10. Microsoft says that it is the thinnest and lightest Surface the company has ever shipped. There will be also 4G LTE variant is available, which comes with built-in nano SIM slot. Further, you will get one-year subscription to Office 365.
The The Microsoft Surface 3 supports Pen input, but you have to purchase the pen for $50 each in silver, blue, black and red colors. You can also purchase Type Cover in a variety of colors separately for $130 each, and the Docking Station is also available separately.
The Surface 3 houses an 8-megapixel rear camera and also a 3.5-megapixel front-facing camera. It is also offering a kickstand that supports three discrete settings. It measures 267 x 187 x 8.7 mm and weights 622gms.
Microsoft Surface 3 specifications
- 10.8-inch ClearType Full HD Display with Pen input
- 1920 x 1280 pixels resolution
- Quad-core Intel Atom x7-Z8700 processor (up to 2.4 GHz)
- 2GB RAM with 64 GB ROM / 4GB RAM with 128 GB ROM + microSD reader
- Windows 8.1 OS, upgradable to Windows 10
- 8MP auto focus rear camera with 1080p video recording support
- 3.5MP front-facing camera with 1080p video recording support
- 8.7 mm thickness / weight 622 gms
- Microphone, Stereo speakers with Dolby Audio-enhanced sound
- LTE (Optional), Wi-Fi (802.11 a/b/g/n/ac), Bluetooth 4.0 LE, Full USB 3.0, Mini Display port, Micro USB charging port, GPS (LTE model only)
- Battery life of up to 10 hours with video-playback
The Microsoft Surface 3 will be available in US $499 for the 2GB RAM with 64GB storage variant, while 4GB RAM with 128GB storage will cost US $599. Surface 3 with LTE will cost you US $599 for the 2GB RAM with 64GB storage version, and in US $699 you will get 4GB RAM with 128GB storage model. The device will be available though Microsoft Stores, microsoftstore.com and selected retailers, from May 5 and goes on sale in 26 markets worldwide by May 7. The LTE variants will be ship by June 26th.