When you purchase the laptops from the market, it comes pre-loaded with operating system, and provides only one drives to share the data. Means, you will get a single drive (C:\) when your OS will be installed and you can put the data on the same drive, because there is no another drive is available in your laptop.
Usually putting the data one Windows primary disk is not recommended, since if your OS gets corrupted, you have to do a lot of work in recovering the data. So, we should create more than 2 drives usually to keep the personal data separated from the Windows installation directory.
Till Windows XP, without third party software, re-sizing the partition was difficult, and one had to take the help of third party software. Microsoft has started providing built-in partition tool from Windows Vista and onward. Now, if you are running Windows Vista, Win 7, Win 8, Win 8.1 or Windows 10; then you can easily resize, create or delete the existing partition.
How to resize the partition in Windows Vista or above OS
1. Right click on This PC / Computer from the desktop and choose manage.
3. Here, in my case, there are 6 drives available, and I will resize one partition (H:\).
4. Right click on the partition / volume which you want to resize and choose shrink.
6. In the front of “Enter the amount of space to shrink in MB” put the desired space in MB which you want to reduce from the Volume. (In my instance, I am reducing 4,80,141MB; so I leave it as it it). Click on Shrink.
7. It will create free space, which can be added to later / previous drive or you can create a new partition also.
This process works with Windows Vista and later versions till Windows 10.